Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Yum Yum!

Well, though it's earlier than I like, I've started Lily's babies on whole food.  They're getting about an ounce of raw hamburger twice per day.  Since the little buggers have been in Lily's food bowl since they were big enough to pull themselves up and into a dog bowl, I didn't figure it was going to hurt too much to start them a touch early.

I'll be keeping them to just two very small feedings for the next week or so - just enough food to take the "edge off" their hunger so they don't chew the crap out of Lily's boobs.  It's a bit of a vicious cycle...when the puppies get teeth, they start chewing on the momma's boobs,  Because that hurts (ouch!), the momma is less eager to go in with her babies to feed them.  Because they're getting fed less often, the babies are more hungry, which means they are more vicious to that tender "milk bar".  Vicious cycle that seems to be happily ended with just two little meals a day.  Lily has been very happy to go in with her babies today, so that's good progress!

Oh...and did I happen to mention that every one of the little piglets hoovers their little bit of hamburger faster than you can say, "snot"?  /grin

Look for updated photos of each of the kids on the weekend.  I'm having company on the weekend so I'll have extra hands to help get photos!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment